External Videos Widget
This article covers specific setup and content entry for the External Videos Widget. If you've never set up a Widget, check the Setup Guides Section for a step by step guide for getting started.
The External Videos Widget is a flexible content area that allows you to configure a one or more embedded videos that will be displayed on the front end of your store.
The image below shows an un-styled version of an External Videos Widget.
Content Entry Form
While entering content, you can enter any YouTube video URL, a Vimeo URL or any iframe embed code using the default widget setup. You may also enter a title for the video and a body/description.
By default, the Widget's content entry form will include the following:
- External Video
- The URL or iframe of the video to be displayed.
- A title to be displayed with the video.
- A text description to be displayed with the video.
Many customization options are built into Shopify's theme editor for this widget. In addition to basic design settings that apply to all widgets, such as margins, fonts, line heights, and more, this widget also includes Video Layout options:
- Content Area
- Full width video with Title above and Body below the video.
- Video on Left
- Video on left, Title and body on right.
- Video on Right
- Video on right, Title and Body on right.
- Alternate from Left
- Same as Video on Left for first video, then the video placement alternates from left to right for each video after the first.
- Alternate from Right
- Same as Video on Right for the first video, then the video placement alternates from right to left for each video after the first.
To edit configuration for this Widget, head into the Configure section in the sidebar under your item type, for example, under Products, choose Configure. Hover on the Widget to see options.
Adding New Fields
From the Configure screen, select the plus to add more fields to this widget.
Select the code symbol to edit the basic HTML and liquid code for this widget.
HTML and liquid in our templates may be edited in the app or directly in your theme.
CSS can only be edited in your theme. The code page links to the correct theme file to edit the CSS.
Customizing Content Entry Fields
Some fields may have additional configuration options. For example, you might want to add some help text for your administrator on a particular field.